Saturday, November 21, 2009

Just a few random thougths...

I know that it is rare in the blogging world to post twice in one day. The first post was one that I have had ready for a while. I needed to get the computer ready to get it up. This one is not so much a written "essay," as it is a few random thoughts.

I remember an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" in which Laura and Albert thought they had found gold. They didn't realize that it was "fool's gold" and worthless. They had big hopes and plans for all the money that was surely coming. The episode ends with the huge pile of wothless "fool's gold" drifting away in the creek.

I thought about "fool's gold" in the last day or so. There have been a few times in my life when I have been taken in by "fool's gold" so to speak. I thought something was a certain way or that something would surely happen. Like Laura and Albert, I began to dream a little and make some plans. Also, like Albert and Laura, I have experienced the frustration of finding out that what I thought was one thing, was really something else.

Now I know when I post things like this, I get questions like whether or not I am ok or if I have any regrets about leaving Kansas City. I am fine and I do not, for a minute, have any regrets about moving. I am, though, sorting through some things in life. These posts sometimes reflect that sorting process.

What do you do when you've been taken in by "fool's gold?" Well, I don't know that there is a simple answer. I think you have to go through a process of being a bit down and discouraged. However, there is something, or rather someone, to whom you can look. The Lord tells Joshua, "I will never leave you or forsake you" (Joshua 1:5). Jesus said, "I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:20). I think it is important to do as an old chorus suggests; "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in his wonderful face. The things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace."

Seek the Lord when what you thought was gold turns out to be worthless. Hang on to the one who will never abandon you when those upon whom you counted were less than true. Find rest in Him who is always there when those that you knew would never leave have left.

Fool's gold. Hmmm...it doesn't seem right but it can get us to the right place and person.

1 comment: