Friday, April 19, 2013

Do you really know Jesus?

I don't know if you have ever heard of Matthew Staszak. I doubt it, unless you are a model train enthusiast who is "in the know." Staszak, who passed away in February of this year, was a leader in the St. James Model Railroad Club in St. James, New York, a small town near Long Island. I ran across an article that spoke of Staszak's love for model trains this week and was impressed by it. Fellow club members spoke of his passion for model trains. He loved sharing his knowledge and collection with his grandsons and with other members of the club. In the article, club members referred to how much Staszak was "the backbone of the club" and how much he knew about them.

Though I had a train set as a boy, I would not call myself a model train person. I admire, though, someone who is so into something that they really know it and are passionate about it. I have been reading through and studying the book of Philippians for the last several weeks. Philippians 3:10-11 really struck me this week. Paul writes there, "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow to attain to the resurrection from the dead." The word for "know" in the verse is the Greek word "gnonai" which means to ascertain, especially from personal experience. Paul's desire in this passage is to really, personally know Jesus Christ. Involved in that would be the power of his resurrection and the connection of sharing in his sufferings. There are quite a few things that could be pulled from this passage, but for the moment, I want to focus on Paul's desire to "know Jesus." I wonder sometimes how many Christians really want to "know Jesus." I am confident that several know about Jesus. I am certain that there are people who really want to feel Jesus in their lives. I am sure that quite a few want to be able to call on Jesus when trouble hits. I dont' know, though, how many really desire to know Him. What does it mean to know him?

Looking at what Paul wrote, I think it is clear that to know him means to experience the power of his resurrection. I think this might mean to have the resurrection be real in your life. Have you died to sin and been resurrected a new person? Do you know what it means to become a "new creation?" Are you living for Christ or do you still tend to live for yourself? Paul continued to say to know "the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings." I think this might mean that we need to be so changed from the rest of the world that we might actually suffer for his name.

This is a real challenge, I think. I want to know Jesus, too, but when I write or say that, I ought to be aware of what that means. It is more than just having knowledge of Him. It involves being so "into Him" that my life is changed from the inside out and I am willing to suffer because of my faith.

I hope that all of us will consider our own walk with the Lord and honestly desire to "know Jesus." Thanks for reading and have a blessed day....

No comments:

Post a Comment