Monday, January 19, 2015

Why The Bible

     “The BIBLE, yes that’s the book for me.  I stand alone on the word of God, the BIBLE.”  I learned that song a long time ago and am now, forty-five years later, still teaching it to pre-school children.  I am unashamed to say that I love the Bible.  I have spent a lot of time, passion and energy studying and memorizing it.  Though I’ve spent a lot of time with the Bible, there’s so much I don’t know.  It is new and fresh every time I read it.  At the beginning of this post, let me make a couple of points.  First, this post is not an apologetic.  I won’t attempt to persuade you that the Bible is, in its original manuscripts, the inerrant Word of God.  I believe it is and there are convincing proofs, but that’s not my point.  Second, I don’t want to make the Bible an idol.  I don’t worship the Bible.  I believe that leads to legalism.  I believe the Bible is God’s revealed message to mankind in general and me in particular.  It highlights my sin and need for a Savior and points me to Jesus Christ.   What I want to do is simply tell you what it means and has meant to me. 
     I have found direction and purpose in the Bible.  I am convinced that God has directed my life through my study and memorization of Scripture.  I met the Lord Jesus Christ and he became my Savior through the pages of the Bible.  John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son; that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”  I was challenged to surrender my life to him and allow him to use me to help others as I studied and memorized Scripture passages.  Verses such as “Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity” (1 Timothy 4:12) and  “For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith” (2 Timothy 4:6-7) have become, what I hope to be, bookends for my life. 
     The Bible has been relevant for all aspects of my life.  It has magnified joyful times and brought comfort in difficult times.  Through the words of Scripture I learned to really celebrate and praise God.  The achievements and accomplishments that I’ve seen, both for me and those around me, are viewed through the prism of Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” It has also sustained me in the dark times or lonely hours.  Jesus’ words, “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matthew 28:20) and the Old Testament word of God through Moses “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you” (Deuteronomy 31:6) have been comforting in many difficult circumstances. 
     There are many other verses that have ministered to me and have touched my life.  Through my reading and study of the Bible, I’ve gained a closer walk with Jesus Christ and a desire to be more like him.  I hope that my love for God’s Word has been shown and passed on to those to whom I’ve had the privilege of teaching and sharing the Bible.  It is my prayer that, whether it be in Bible Bowl, Sunday school, writing, or preaching, may those who I encounter experience the incredible, life-changing message of God’s Word. That’s some of why I choose the Bible.  What about you?  Is the Bible important to you?  Thanks for reading…

No comments:

Post a Comment