Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What Makes A Difference

Have you ever felt like your relationship with Jesus Christ was stale? I have heard a lot of talk about people just "going through the motions." I understand that. There have been times in the last year that I have wondered whether or not I heard the Lord's call or if I have "plateaued" in my faith. Many Christian writers and singers have addressed the issue of growing cold or stale. I think the popular term for that today is "lukewarm" from the book of Revelation. There are books, songs and sermons that try to ignite faith and consume spiritual malaise. For my money, the best I have come across is Ted Dekker's new book Immanuel's Veins. I have been a fan of Ted Dekker for a while and enjoy many of his books. This one, though, went deeper than just enjoyment. This powerful story spoke of that which can really deepen faith and spur growth. It is a story about sacrificial love.

I do not want to spoil the story for those who may yet read it and I hope that there are many that do. I will simply say that this fictional account reminded me of what matters. The story is set in 1772 and reads as if it were an historical account. Toma Nicolescu is a decorated soldier in the service of Catherine the Great. He is sent to the base of the Carpathian Mountains in Moldavia to guard a mother and two daughters. Of course, it is not that simple. In Dekker's own unique style a story of intrigue, suspense and surprising chills leads to a profound spiritual message. What makes a difference is sacrificial love.

What did that story mean to me and what can it mean to you? First, let me define "sacrificial love." It is the kind of love that the Greek word "agape" describes. It is the love that is willing to do whatever it takes to make a difference, without regard for what it may or may not receive in return.

Seeing "sacrificial love" reminded me that if I am in the spiritual doldrums or bored with my walk, my focus must change. If I love sacrificially, then I am seeing the world through the eyes and needs of others. It is the kind of love that took Jesus to the cross. It is the kind of love John spoke of when he said, "Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." If I begin to see the world through the eyes of those around me, it becomes a different picture. I become less concerned for how I am being treated and more aware of how others are feeling and what they perceive. If I am to be more like Christ, it will not be because I "will" myself to do it. Being shamed into changing my behavior can make a difference, but it won't likely last as long. I am convinced that real change will happen because I begin to love as he did; sacrificially. Loving in that way makes me a different person.

"Sacrificial love" also drives me to act upon my love. If I love "sacrificially," I am compelled to act. I think this is what James was thinking of when he wrote about faith being dead without works. To really love as Jesus did drives me to do something. Jesus, himself, set the example. He loved us enough to endure the shame and agony of the cross. His love was defined by his incredible action at Golgotha. "Sacrificial love" needs to be what motivates me, too. I reach out to others, not because I have to or I feel an obligation, but because that's just love. I see someone with a problem or a need and I act to the best of my ability. I may give up some or all of my possessions depending upon the situation. I seek opportunities to enrich someone else's life. If and when I begin to love sacrificially, then I will experience the joy and peace that comes from really loving.

Finally, I think "sacrificial love" identifies me with Jesus Christ. If I claim the name of "Christian," which I do, then I have a responsibility to be more like him. There are many ways in which I can attempt this, but I am discovering the best might be to simply receive the amazing love he has for me and love others that way as well. Kimber Lane, a bright, Godly young lady who I like to call "my kid," has a blog entitled "Love wins." I like that very much. I think that's the message of the cross. I think that's the message that this world needs today. "Love wins." If I am to be more like Christ, let me drink deeply from the "fountain filled with blood, drawn from Immanuel's veins." I know that "Sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains." Love wins.

Thanks for reading...

2 comments:

  1. Good message that you received from Dekker I got the same exact message from Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Thanks William

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete