Saturday, May 4, 2013

Beautification: Weeding and Mulching

     Today was "Beautification Day" at Northridge.  I hadn't heard that term used to describe what I had previously known as "Work Day."  However, after looking at the results, I think it may be an apt description.  Several of the faithful here at Northridge gathered at 9:00 this morning to spruce up the church grounds for summer.  All who attended had some gardening skill or tool proficiency, well, nearly all.  I was there, too.  With the tool talent and skill that I have, I was given the task of first pulling weeds and then spreading the mulch.  It was a job that required desire, but very little talent.  In other words, it was right up my alley.  Our work crew labored hard and when we finished, the church looked,  I think, a little nicer.  

     Later, on my way to a hospital visit in Columbus, I was thinking about "Beautification Day" (as well as how my Bible Bowlers had performed today, but that's for another time).  I thought about how we spend quite a bit of time making things look nice around our houses and yards.  There were a lot of people out on Wil Mar Drive today working.  I am positive that throughout the city, state and in many parts of the country people spend a lot of money, time and effort to make houses and yards look as nice as they can.  I don't see anything wrong with this (other than I have limited ability).  I was wondering, though, how much time and effort we spend on "Beautification Day of the Soul."  Do you like that term?  I hope so.  Do we concern ourselves as much about the condition of our spiritual lives as we do about the flowers and the grass?  Do we spend our time and treasure in an appropriate proportion to how much we value our walk with the Lord?  

     Paul writes in Colossians 3, "If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God" (Colossians 3:1  NKJV).  Jesus says, as found in Matthew 10:28, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.  But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell"  (NKJV).  In both of these passages, the emphasis is on prioritizing the things that have eternal significance.  Make sure that you're taking care of the things that will last.  

     What would "Beautification of the Soul Day" look like?   I'm not sure, everyone's yard is different and everyone's life is, too.  However,  it probably begins with a thoughtful look at your walk with Jesus Christ.  It may involve prayer, spending time in His Word, being in church, worship, serving and a host of other things.

     I thought "Beautification Day" at Northridge was a success.  I hope that you'll try a "Beautification of the Soul Day."  Thanks for reading.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment