Friday, May 10, 2013

Motivation for Persuasion

     A Cleveland man kidnaps and holds three women captive for over a decade.  A Philadelphia abortion doctor is on trial for unspeakable acts of brutality and murder.  There is a "back and forth" discussion in our nation's capital about whether or not there was a "cover up" in the tragic attack on the consulate in Benghazi.  These are headlines for actual stories that I pulled off of news websites today.  It seems that bad things are occurring and being reported more than ever.  In one of the Bible study groups I lead, we had a discussion recently about whether or not the current times are more "evil" than previous ones.  I don't know for sure if things are more "evil" now or if we are simply getting more of the stories.  I do know, though, that the world in which we live is not really getting much "better." 

     What is a Christian to do in an increasingly messed up world?   I was reading through 2 Corinthians this morning and came across a verse that, I think, people read through on their way to other passages without really stopping to consider what it says.  Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 5:11 "Since then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men" (NIV).  To put the verse in its context, we need to note the "Since then."  Since what?  In the passages prior to this one, Paul has been writing about his goal and that of his fellow-workers.  He has noted that "heavenly bodies" await the followers of Jesus, but until we meet the Lord at the end of this life, we live in these mortal bodies with the Holy Spirit as a deposit of what is to come.  Because of this, Paul states that their goal is to please the Lord.  He writes, in verse ten, that all will appear before the judgment seat of Christ.  That is where the "Since then" comes in. 

     Since all will appear before Christ at judgment, Paul says we know what it is to "fear the Lord." This phrase, too, is an interesting one.  In our small group this week at Northridge we were discussing what it meant to "fear the Lord."   I don't know if I have one "great" answer, but I think in this context and in others, to "fear the Lord" might mean to recognize that I am going to be accountable to him for what I've done and the choices I've made.  It combines, I think, respect for who the Lord is, acknowledgment of his power, recognition of his purity and an awareness of my shortcomings.  

     Paul says, "Since the, we know what it is to fear the Lord," we do something.  What does he say we do?  He says, "we try to persuade men."  The word there for "persuade" is one that means to "influence" or "convince."  It seems to me that one of Paul's motivations for trying to influence others is that he understand what it is like to "fear the Lord."  

     What does that mean for the Christian in 2013?  I suppose it means the same thing it meant to Paul.  If we know and believe that all will appear before Christ in judgment, then that can be our motivation to influence or convince others to turn to Jesus Christ.  I'm not saying in any way that should be the only motivation.  I don't know that people can be "scared" into heaven.  Just a few verses from this one, Paul writes, "For Christ love compels us..."   I do believe that love is a much greater and meaningful motivator than fear.  Having said that, though, there does seem to be a place for "fearing the Lord."  

     Perhaps in a world saturated by evil, a healthy "fear of the Lord" might be a welcome reminder.  I believe we always lead with the love of God and Christ.  John 3:16 still stands as the most powerful verse in my opinion.  Just keep in mind 2 Corinthians 5:11.  It is worth reading, too.  Thanks for reading and have a blessed day...

No comments:

Post a Comment