Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bible Bowl Musings

I just finished the blog on the importance of the Bible. I really do believe that. I am convinced that what matters (in connection with one's view of Jesus) is one's view of the Bible. Is it really God's Word or is it just another religious book? I believe the first. To quote the song I learned a long time ago, "The BIBLE. Yes that's the book for me. I stand alone on the Word of God; the BIBLE." Because of that love for God's Word and a bit of a competitive nature, I have been blessed by a program called Bible Bowl. Most of you know that I have been involved in Bible Bowl for almost 32 years. I played for six years. I was an assistant coach for about 2 years and I have been a head coach for 24 years this year (though technically I am not the "head coach" this year). That's a long time. In that time I have been privileged to study the entire New Testament and over one half of the Old Testament in depth. What I have memorized, I generally learned in Bible Bowl. I truly believe in this program and it has changed my life. I am concerned about the shrinking numbers of kids in Bible Bowl and will address that in a later post. What I want to do now is just share a few memories. I read a Joe Posnanski blog like this today and I was inspired. So, here goes...

My Favorite Cities for National Tournaments (in no particular order)
Indianapolis, IN
Louisville, KY
Cincinnati, OH
Tampa, FL
Chicago, IL

Least Favorite Cities for National Tournaments
St. Louis, MO
Dallas, TX


Best Comebacks I have ever seen in a game:

SE Louisville vs. College Hts in 1994 placement game in Orlando
College Hts got ten of eleven in the first half, SE L got the last nine and won by just a few points as I remember it.

Stony Point vs. Malvern in 2000 Lincoln Double Elim
SP got 6 of last 7 to win by 15 points against Rene Miller. Later, at JBC, Malvern got revenge.

Stony Point vs Austin in 2009 National tournament to get to the Final Four. (Sorry Ruth) SP trailed by 195 with five questions left. Needing all five and all bonus points, SP got them and won by five.


Best Game Ever...
Malvern vs. Kissimmee in 2005 National Top 12 Winner's bracket game. Both teams tied at 400 at the end of regulation. All questions and bonus answered correctly and evenly. Kissimmee won on a tie-breaker.

Best Teams I've Seen...
Novesta (1999-2002)
SE Louisville (1989)
SE Englewood, CO (1987-88)
Minerva (1978) Dr. Hahlen, I wouldn't forget.
North Terrace (1980)

Best Coaches I've Met...
(Past)
Mike Wileman (Stony Point)
Eileen Smith (Drexel Gardens)
Warren and Beth White (Traders Point)
Bob and Susie Baker (Greenwood)
Chet Coy (Southport Heights)
Eric Derry (River Valley)
Tom Odle (SE Louisville)

Though I know they are controversial, Doug Hurd and Walt Carnes also make this list. No one can deny how well they got kids to play the game.

(Current)
Jim Swindler (Xenia)
Brad Spiers (Novesta)
Dale Harlow (Northfield)
Tracey Chamberlain (Austin)

Best Coach EVER in my opinion: Gary Bordelon (Kissimmee)


Best Programs I have seen...
Valley View (1999-Present)
Mt. Pleasant (2004-present)
Kissimmee (1998-Present)

Top Quizmasters I've seen...
David Strange
Dale Harlow
Anita Zutaut
Carrie Turner
Brad Spiers
Jason Jones
Ann Johnson
Minta Hardman
Ron Russell

Coaches/people that don't get the recognition they deserve for what they do...
Gordon Springer (Capitol City)
Mark Welch (Council Bluffs)
Tracey Chamberlain (Austin)
Robin Zauche (Bible, Garden City)
Brad Harper (SE Parker)
Tina Spicer (Dayspring)
Floyd and Catherine Miller (Union, Terre Haute)
Keith Smith (Orlando)
Bret Talley (Cincinnati)
Gary Coleman (Cincinnati)
Patsy Wilson (LCC)
Mark Young (SE Louisville)
Bob Russell (SE Louisville)

There are, I am certain, countless others that could be on this list. This one is my list and I reserve the right to add to it.

There are so many memories of people and events that I have had through this wonderful program. I have not included everyone that I have met or worked with. That would be impossible. Suffice it to say, that this program of getting me into the Word and the Word into me has made a great impact. Please understand that these are my opinions. I did not leave anyone out intentionally. I may go back and add some as I think of them. I just wanted to get it out and maybe you'll think, too. If you've read these ramblings this far, thanks for reading...

3 comments:

  1. Man, I remember a lot of the names of people you mentioned......that kind of makes me old and I'm not so sure that's a good thing!

    Bible Bowl....some of the best memories I have from my childhood. Good times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had to mention that last game Bill ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You left off "Best Player: Link Burchett".

    ReplyDelete