Monday, January 18, 2010

Movie Inspires High View of the Bible

This weekend I had the opportunity to see the movie "The Book of Eli" starring Denzel Washington. Now I know, for many of you, that fact that Denzel Washington is in the movie is reason enough to see it. This movie, though, ought to have an even greater pull for Christians. The message of this movie, in my opinion, is clear. The Bible matters. I won't get into the details of the movie because I don't want to spoil it for those who may yet see it. I will, though, address one topic that I think resonates from this Hollywood offering: Bible memorization.

Psalm 119:11 says, "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." The Lord told Joshua as he began to lead the people of Israel, "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful" (Joshua 1:9). Both of these verses and countless others indicate the importance of really knowing Scripture.

As I watched the movie, "The Book of Eli," I wondered how much of the Bible do I really know? How much can I quote of it? As I ask these questions, I am humbled. I have read through the whole Bible. I can give, I think, a summary of what each book contains. How much of it have I really internalized? Not as much as I would have liked or should have. I realize that Bible memorization isn't stressed as much as it used to be. Camp used to give prizes for Bible memory. Sunday School classes used to give a memory verse every week. Bible Bowl used to have 3,000 or so young people involved around the nation. Some camp deans still may push Bible memory, but I know a lot that don't. Some Sunday School teachers may still give a memory verse, but I know of many that do not. Bible Bowl is still a great program, but only half as many kids are involved. Why is this the case?

Let me suggest a few reasons. First, there is an educational bias against rote memory. Back when I was in school, (I just love being old enough to really say that), when I had a course on Shakespeare, we had to memorize parts of the play and really know the play. Today, that same course tests, not on what is in the play, but more on what the play means and how the student relates to the play. Now let me say I don't think it is bad to be able to demonstrate those skills. In fact, I think it is good. However, I do need to ask, how can one really relate to something he or she doesn't know? Second, there is a church bias against Bible memory, too. That sounds strange, doesn't it? I believe there is, though. How many people bring their own Bibles to church? How many times do Christians want to apply the Scripture without ever really knowing the Scripture? Again, I ask, how can you apply that which you do not know?

If we really believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God, then it takes on an even greater importance. It is not some history book that you can really learn. It is actually the "God-breated" message for lost man. The words of Scripture matter. They give hope. They give comfort. They challenge and convict. They point to Jesus Christ!

I want to issue a challenge to the ( I wanted to say millions at this point, then I thought thousands, nope. Hundreds, not really. Fifties, no.) teens that read these posts to memorize a portion of Scripture today. I won't just leave you with the challenge, though. I will give you a tool. In Bible Bowl, I call this the "Quote Book." Here it is.

Take 2 Timothy 1:1. Write down: P,A A O C J B T W O G, A T T P O L T I I C J.
These are the first letters of every word in the verse that says, "Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, according to the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus." I typed that without looking at the Bible. I only used the first letters. By studying and going over the verses using these letters, I can memorize large portions of the Bible. My Bible Bowl kids have for years. So, to the teens of you out there, take my challenge. I am going to try to memorize more, too. Thanks for reading and, if you get the chance, see the movie. Prepare to be humbled.

1 comment:

  1. I've been lurking for a while on your blog and I have to say I love hearing you talk about Bible Bowl. But that's not why I enjoy reading. You always had a way of challenging me with your lessons in Sunday School and your Sermons in Church. We love our church family out here, but we sure miss your sermons.

    This post is no different. I don't understand either why there is a bias against memorization in the church. I don't think we mean to, but it's probably more of a rebellion against stuff we may have wished we didn't have to do when we were kids. I don't know.

    Mindy and I had started memorizing scripture one passage (4-10 verses) a week a couple years ago, but we never really got into the groove and made it a habit. Thanks for the challenge. I think we'll start again. Maybe use the Quote Book approach this time. A few SPCC National Championships can't be wrong! ;)

    ReplyDelete