Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Roots Aren't Deep Enough

I read a blog about trees today. That sounds a bit strange, doesn't it? Well, I'm on a snow day and the president's news conference was a bit boring...No. Not really. I did have a snow day and I did think the "big" press conference was a bit dry, but I actually looked up the tree blog. Why? I wanted to know about trees that were easily blown down by the wind. I found out that some trees do have a more shallow root system than others, but what happens, more often than not, is that the roots of a tree seek out the water. If the water is down deep in the soil, then the roots are deep. If, though, the soil is dry or sandy, then the roots will be more on the surface where they can catch whatever moisture may be there. Now, I know what some of you are thinking. "Thomas has really lost it. He's pondering trees!" Well, I may have lost it all right, but there is a point to this.

I found it fascinating that some trees could grow really tall and look great. They seemed to be indestructable. But, when a storm rolled through town, those same trees would be lying in the yard or on someone's house. They didn't have the roots to support what grew up top.

As bad as that may be for trees, I think it is even worse for churches. I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I have been to a few different churches since I left Stony Point. They are all different. I've been to a mega-church, a large church and a very small church, too. I've even been to a "liberal" church that doesn't believe in the Bible as God's word. I've covered the spectrum. I have had a lot of discussions with church people and leaders about what makes up a "good," "healthy" church. I don't know that there is any one "right" answer. One thing, though, that did strike me, especially among the Christian churches of which I am a part, is the drifting away from a strong, vibrant Sunday School program and a general lack of "challenging" Bible studies. I fear, for what it is worth, that we, the Christian church, are slowly leaving behind our motto of being "a people of the book." I know of quite a few churches that no longer have Sunday School for adults. There are some churches that have a few classes, but the program is generally weak. It seems to me (and I admit I have a very limited perspective), that Bible study 2010 has become a "fill in the blank with the right answer" exercise. I wonder what has happened to the days of wrestling with a text to grasp what it means. It seems to me the "tough questions" don't get asked very often. We seem to want a neatly packaged faith that looks really pretty. I just don't think that kind of faith can hold up in a storm. It just isn't deep enough.

I believe a return to the Bible in 2010 is imperative if we are going to really impact this world and make a stand. There is a real enemy out there that does not want people to know Jesus Christ as the only way to eternal life. He has infiltrated every aspect of our society. Now, more than ever, we must be equipped to battle this enemy. How? Using the Word of God. Jesus fought Satan's temptations in the desert with God's Word (See Matthew 4). The book of Hebrews describes the power of God's Word. It says, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to the dividing of soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12). The Bible is powerful. It is God's message to us. It points us to Jesus Christ. It gives us direction and purpose for life. It allows us to stand up to the temptations of this world and our enemy. It is all there; the Bible.

If you are in a church that preaches the Bible as God's inerrant word, then be grateful and encourage your preacher to continue. Let him know how much you admire and need that. Not every clergyman or woman has that view of the Bible. If you are in a Sunday School class that challenges you, tell the teacher. Let him or her know that it makes a difference to you. Christians need to know, read, study and memorize the Bible. It is my hope that 2010 signals a renewal of not only churches growing wide in numbers but also growing deep in faith and in God's Word. Thanks for reading....

2 comments:

  1. Bill, reading your blog brought these scriptues to mind. Luke 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
    Luke 6:49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, Thanks for adding those verses. I agree with you. Christians must have a deep foundation to survive what the world hurls at them.

    ReplyDelete